- Down to the Short RowsPosted 12 hours ago
- Remember When: Creepy CrawliesPosted 12 hours ago
- Atlantic ChiropracticPosted 13 hours ago
- Second Annual Knight’s 5K Run a Great SuccessPosted 13 hours ago
- You’re Invited – Maysville May DayPosted 13 hours ago
- Come join us to Celebrate Easter at Smith Farm – April 19, 2014Posted 13 hours ago
- Infant of Prague Catholic Parish FamilyPosted 13 hours ago
- Bob Perks’ Inspirational ColumnPosted 5 days ago
- April Pet Deals from Onslow County Animal ServicesPosted 5 days ago
- April is Prevention of Cruelty to Animals MonthPosted 5 days ago
Soccer coach charged with solicitation of sex from a child
John Tobias Sweeney, 36, a teacher and coach at Southwest High School, was charged Thursday with electronic solicitation of a child.
He is accused of asking a 13-year-old child to commit a sex act.
Sweeney had been with the school system for 14 years. He taught English at Southwest High School since 2006 where he was also the soccer coach. He resigned Thursday, according to school officials.
Sweeney was arrested by the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office without incident Thursday morning and given a $10,000 secured bond. His first court appearance is set for Friday.
Federal agents were involved in the investigation.