- On sale now!Posted 3 months ago
- TWO REPORTERS NEEDED!Posted 3 months ago
- ON SALE NOW!Posted 3 months ago
- Great Holiday Gifts for Current and Future College StudentsPosted 3 months ago
- TORNADO WARNING in Onslow, Jones and Duplin countiesPosted 3 months ago
- Swansboro Chamber Man of the Year insults local business womanPosted 3 months ago
- Great Holiday Gifts for People On-the-GoPosted 3 months ago
- Broadhurst Road BloodbathPosted 4 months ago
- Are You Getting Your Eyes Checked Often Enough?Posted 4 months ago
- Overwhelmed by Email? Tips to Get OrganizedPosted 4 months ago
Soccer coach charged with solicitation of sex from a child
John Tobias Sweeney, 36, a teacher and coach at Southwest High School, was charged Thursday with electronic solicitation of a child.
He is accused of asking a 13-year-old child to commit a sex act.
Sweeney had been with the school system for 14 years. He taught English at Southwest High School since 2006 where he was also the soccer coach. He resigned Thursday, according to school officials.
Sweeney was arrested by the Onslow County Sheriff’s Office without incident Thursday morning and given a $10,000 secured bond. His first court appearance is set for Friday.
Federal agents were involved in the investigation.