Two men found dead at North Topsail Beach Identified

By on July 27, 2013
website pic

Two men found dead at North Topsail Beach earlier this week were drug informants.

Christopher Stewart and Robert Shellhammer were working as confidential informants for local authorities, according to a law enforcement source.

The two men were found dead on the beach with stab wounds. A knife was found between them.

The two may have had a personal beef unrelated to their work as informants, according to a second source that also identified the men.

Shellhammer’s wife was at the scene at the time of the altercation. She has been interviewed by investigators.

Read the initial story.

13 Comments

1. ForPete'sSake

August 2, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I’d actually like to see some follow up on the “Informant” portion … No one else reported that. @CAT – Actually – MOST Informants have records or legal problems , that is why they are doing it.

I do feel for the families , but people SHOULD demand more answers on this story … It makes no sense at all.

• Shellhammer Family

August 3, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I agree it makes no sense and we are seeking answers, it is not common for two people to kill each other with only one knife.

2. Jones

July 29, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Maybe the wife got rid of 2. If they both were criminals then maybe it was the company they were keeping. But again, maybe the lights went out in Georgia. .??????

3. Amber Stewart

July 29, 2013 at 7:58 pm

CAT you can keep ur mouth shut or ill shut it for you

• Robert

July 30, 2013 at 3:54 pm

If I were family I would either invest in “Spell Check” or type when I were sober…

4. Cat

July 29, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Shellhammer is a convicted child molester and is on the NC Sex Offender registry. Stewart is a convicted drug dealer. Why would they be involved with the police. Both were trash.

• frustrated_nsamco

July 29, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Don’t judge…1charge from 3YEARS AGO doesn’t make someone a dealer…or trash for that matter. I would consider the one passing judgement to be the trash here.

• Anonymous

July 29, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Im family with stewart best thing u can do is sgut ur mouth im sure ur bot a damn saint

• Shellhammer Family

August 3, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I am a family member of Buddy (Robert C. Shellhammer IV), he was not trash! He was a good man that did what he could for his family and in no way deserved to die the way he did. The charge which he served his time for was because he was in a relationship with a girl who lied to him and said she was 18 but was only 15 & 1/2. At that time Buddy was 20 and had no reason to believe the girl he loved had been lying to him. The charges came about when the girl’s mother found out about the relationship. The girl admitted it was a mutual relationship and that is why the charge was indecent liberties with a child not child molestation. I also know a person who was charged as a sex offender b/c she sent a nude pic to the wrong number by accident and a minor received it so although I believe child molestation is one of the most heinous crimes someone can commit, not all people on the offender’s list truly belong there by way of intent. I do not personally know the Stewart man who died but the fact he convicted drug dealer doesn’t make him trash either. For all you or I know he may have been busted with possession of drugs intended for personal use but in separate bags/containers and got the charge on a technicality. Unless you can personally contest to a person’s character you should not comment at all, and there is no reason to slander the dead anyways if they didn’t pay for their sins in life they certainty will after death.

5. Darron

July 29, 2013 at 12:53 am

Why put that they where narcs if it had nothing to do with their deaths

• Anonymous

July 29, 2013 at 2:48 am

U have no clue what ur talking about so don’t put nothing on here if ur just making shit up

• Darron

July 29, 2013 at 10:03 am

Oh God no by no means am I saying they are I’m asking why say that they are if its later stated it nothing to do with their death.

6. Robert